Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Weekend of K's

I am not a big runner in general, but I do try to participate in a 5K each month in addition to my recent addiction to street scrambles and orienteering. This weekend the stars aligned and I ended up participating in a 10K on Saturday and a 5K on Sunday.

Saturday's race was a nice gentle course around Lake Union. The morning was a bit chilly, but not too bad once you got going. Being my first 10K I did not have any expectations about my performance, but am pretty happy with my result. I came in around one hour, twenty-odd minutes with a combination of jogging and walking. A nice introduction to longer races.

Today's 5K was a different story. The Kilt Run was through Magnuson Park and it was 48 degrees with a strong wind off the lake at the start. Even though my legs were numb for the first mile, I managed to turn in a personal best at 31:39ish minutes. There was a beer garden waiting for me at the end so I had some encouragement to finish quickly. Tim was great enough to stand out in the cold and cheer me on.

Overall a very rewarding weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I wish that I would have known about the run around Lake Union - that would have been fun!

    ReplyDelete