Monday, February 7, 2011

Schilthorn Piz Gloria

Wrapping up three and a half days in Murren, Switzerland. The weather was sunny and clear the entire time we were here. While the skiers wished we had some fresh snow I was perfectly happy hiking in the sun and enjoying a cold Rugenbrau on the patio. We had a great view of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains, which are the local attraction, from the top of the mountain. When we come back I would like to stay in Grindelwald and explore the other half of the region.

Murren is a small resort town that reminds me a little of Sun Valley only smaller, nicer and with better food. They filmed Her Majesty's Secret Service at the top of Schilthornbahn so there are a lot of 007 themed items at the top. They even have a Touristorama exhibit which is really just a hallway with pictures taken during the filming.

I got my first shot at sledging while we were in Murren. Old fashioned, wooden sleds with no steering or brakes except your feet. It was fun one I got the hang of it. Unfortunately the only sledge run was a mixed use trail for sledging, hiking and skiing. Once it started to get busy, we had to throw in the towel. It seems to be a popular thing to do around here though.

Today we are off to Zermatt for some more skiing and hiking. I may try my hand at cross country skiing if the trails look good. Forecast is for sun at least for a few more days so we should have great views of the Matterhorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment