Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hiking Through Snow is Hard (What I learned at Crater Lake)

Crater Lake is like a lot of other natural wonders, you have to see it once in your life.  Beyond that, it's up to you.  I ended up hiking out through up to knee deep snow (snowshoes are not allowed on the road even if it's covered in snow) to the second lookout.  4.6 miles is a lot harder when you're post-holing and slipping every few steps.  The views were amazing, but I was glad I got an early start.  I was the third car in the parking lot when I set out and all lots were full when I returned.  The "touron" factor is worse here than at the Grand Canyon.   It is definitely worth the drive down from Bend if you've never seen it before, but do yourself (and your sanity) a favor and get an early start.



No comments:

Post a Comment