Monday, May 23, 2016

Arches - The Second Time Around

I recently visited Arches National Park for the second time.  The first time around I was on my own and had a limited amount of time.  I drove around, saw the highlights, and did a few short hikes.  This time my husband came along and we decided to do a couple longer hikes to see even more of the park.

If you're not too afraid of heights and have a dry day I recommend doing the full Devil's Garden loop hike.  It's 7.2 miles long with a few side trail options for additional viewpoints.  Being terrified of heights, it took me a few tries and a couple panic attacks to complete some of the sketchier portions of the trail, but the payoff was worth it.  Be prepared for scrambling up steep inclines, walking along exposed spines, and some primitive trail finding.  You will be rewarded with sweeping vistas and uncrowded views of some of the more difficult to access arches.

If you decide to tackle the hike up to Delicate Arch, plan to do it either early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid the worst of the crowds.  The narrow ledge at the top of the hike and the walk out to the arch itself can get fairly congested so plan ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment